Thursday, March 27, 2008

This Cup

So the easter weekend got me to thinkin'; especially Good Friday. We had a Tenebrae service in our home Friday night with some dear friends who are also members of our church community. For me it was a siginificant night. I had been "prepping" for the story with my focus on God's character shown through Jesus' life. This time the reading of the Garden of Gethsemane events did not just roll over my mind and heart as a story "I've heard" at least 35 times. I think I finally HEARD it.

As I listened and read and studied further afterward I was hung up on Jesus request that His Father-God "take this cup" from him. I keenly felt that Jesus request was for himself in that moment but also perhaps for us. Is this the ONLY way...can you take this cup? Do we have to walk here? I find so much comfort in Jesus' request. I feel understood, known and walked with.
These days my "cups" don't feel too heavy if I look at the world around me. But I do feel exhausted and desparate at times trying to navigate all that is in front of me...some of it feels painful. I pray and ask that my baby sister's "cup" be taken from her. Over and over that request is made. I believe many who know and love her have prayed along these lines. I have prayed and asked that my husband's particular "cup" at various times in life be taken from him as well.

In all this petitioning, the "cup" hasn't been taken (at least not yet) but God has been so good to allow me, or whoever I am petitioning for, to recieve the cup with trust and sometimes even with grace.

I am thankful for Jesus' words in Gethsemane. Part of the pain with any "cup" is the lonely, isolated feeling it can bring. Jesus abolished this when he walked that lonely path and took that cup and brought new life to the world. The promise and comfort in these moments of Jesus' life give me renewed desire to continue to walk, regardless of the weight of the cup.

2 comments:

Michal said...

Auntie, thank you so much for sharing these thoughts. They are so encouraging! I have felt the same way; and this week other people's "cups" have seemed so big. But Jesus helps us bear them, and makes us joyful in the midst of struggles.
I love you. :)
Love,
Michal

Melissa said...

I, too, am so thankful for the intimate look at Jesus and His prayer in the Garden. It's stunning. The reality of His agony and of His obedience.

Thank you for this post, Karrie. I so appreciate your honest and humble focus on Jesus.

I love and miss you!
M.