Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Your song makes me want to dance

I got up at 5 am this morning to put into action my Valentines Day plan; only to find that my wife had beaten me to it. Yesterday, I was out with my friend Brian who was buying something for his wife for Valentines Day and I was telling him of my great plan to write about the love Karrie and I have for each other on her blog as my gift to her for this holiday. So, I snuck downstairs this morning while everyone was still asleep and went to my wife’s blog to log in and post and found an open letter from my wife to me that expressed her love to me in a beautiful way. After almost thirteen years of marriage we are doing far more than finishing each others sentences, we are truly moving as one.

What I have learned over the years is that our love is like learning to dance; yes the goal is to move as one but the journey of figuring out how to do that is just as meaningful. I am not a particularly good dancer so I am familiar with what can be awkwardness of trying to move and not being sure if you are going to move in such a way that your partner will go with you. Learning to dance together means bumping into one another and stepping on each others feet; the cool thing is when you become secure in the affection of your partner you’re not so worried about looking foolish or being embarrassed but you figure it out together. Having the right partner means you can even laugh and enjoy the clumsiness of the learning the dance together.

I think Karrie and I love mastering the dance of life together, we have mastered so many elements of life and we have worked out many beautiful choreographed dances where we can move as one. At the same time we also love the process of the learning so we seem to seek out new dances to learn together as we grow. We have come not to panic when the music of life changes and we must find a new way to dance together; but we embrace it knowing that we will enjoy figuring it out together.

So, as the music of our life is changing now and we head into many new things at the same time I look forward to us learning yet another new dance and to continue to move as one. I love you Karrie; thanks for the dance.

Jamey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling Husband,
I will never stop dancing with you. As long as there is breath in me, we will keep dancing. I love sharing our life and I am glad to have chances to master more dances.
Karrie

Michal said...

True life dancing lesson: the closer you are, the easier it is to lead and to follow. If you're right there with your partner, you don't even have to think about where to go; it just happens. It's beautiful.
I love you both- your marriage is a beautiful dance. :-)